Site Development & Building Construction

Getting a Permit

A businesses on a rapid growth pattern may need to expand or remodel its facilities.  Minor remodeling such as painting, floor covering, wall papering, and landscaping can often be completed without city involvement.  However, if your ideas involve altering or installing HVAC equipment, piping, means of egress, walls, electrical wiring or concrete, then plan review, permits and inspections are usually required. While this may seem like a daunting task, forethought and careful planning can help ensure your project's ultimate success.

As a general rule, it is best to contact our community development department during the planning process to verify what is necessary to get started.  Confused?  Having problems understanding the process?  Contact the economic development department at (405) 739-1218 and we can help.

Construction Documents

Professionally prepared plans are often required before a building permit will be issued. The Oklahoma Board of Architects, Landscape Architects and Interior Designers has an excellent search feature to assist you in finding those who can help design your building.

You may also need a surveyor or civil engineer if your plans include altering any drainage facility, expanding the footprint of a building or making any changes to a roadway, sanitary sewer interceptor or water distribution main. The Oklahoma State Board of Licensure for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors offers information on state licensed individuals and firms.


It is important to use licensed, qualified contractors to make sure all work is professionally done and legal. Check with the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board and the Midwest City Community Development Department to obtain contact information for licensed contractors, then make sure you check references.